Oral health is directly related to diet and nutrition. In today’s lifestyle because of busy schedule we all have tendency to neglect healthy food. Lack of proper nutrition can lead to incorporation of lot of diseases like diabetes, hypertension etc. also improper diet may lead to lot of gum diseases and periodontitis. Increased consumption of sugary food may lead to dental caries which can further causes lot of side effects.
A balanced nutrition prevents lot of infections and boost our immunity which further helps in fighting with lot of infection. Good nutrition is particularly important in today’s scenario as we have seen the whole world fighting with corona. Apart from good diet daily activities like exercise and yoga is also very important.
Lot of vitamins are essential to maintain healthy gums like vitamin C and vitamin B. Vitamin D also plays a major role for maintain healthy jaw bones. In old age, when calcium deficiency starts, body starts resorbing jaw bones to fulfil the calcium deficiency. Apart from vitamins, proteins are also very important to maintain healthy oral tissues.
Fruits, vegetables and milk also contain sugar but we should not avoid them as they have lot of nutritional benefits.
There are a number of factors that can put individuals at risk for poor oral and overall health such as an unhealthy diet, age, medication, allergies, restrictive diets, chronic disease, lack of vitamins as well as socioeconomic conditions.
Precautions to be taken
1) We should avoid consumption of food and beverages that contribute to poor oral health
2) We should try to have sugary products at mealtime, not as a snack, because the increased flow of saliva during a meal helps protect the teeth by washing away and diluting sugar.
3) Try to search some substitute of sugar. Look for other sugars like corn syrup, corn sweeteners, dextrose, fructose, glucose, honey, maple syrup, molasses and sucrose.
4) Check if your liquid medicines (such as cough syrup) contain sugar. Ask a physician for sugar-free medicines.
5) Try to have water between meals. It will dilute the acidic content of cariogenic bacteria
6) Avoid fried food. Prepare food in healthy ways, such as steamed or baked.
8) Food items like cakes, candies, cold drinks should be avoided as they are full of added sugars.
7) the most important part is try to maintain proper oral hygiene. Brush twice a day for two minutes with fluoridated toothpaste.
8) For snacks, choose healthy food like cheese, fruits, yoghurt etc.
9) Practice good oral hygiene like brushing twice a day and rinsing after every meal. You should visit your dentist once in six months and get regular cleaning done.
At Tooth Care Dental Clinic, we advise our patient to follow a healthy diet plan and proper way of brushing and regular dental check ups.
© Copyright 2021, All Rights Reserved | Tooth Care Dental Clinic.