Maximum patients ask this question ‘”why my teeth are getting discolored”? At Tooth care dental clinic we mainly focus on cause of discoloration. Our best dentist believe in proper diagnosis of discoloration , all tests are done to rule out the cause because treatment depends on the factors which are causing discoloration. We guide our patients how to keep their teeth stain free. We have the best cosmetic dentist who does all aesthetic procedure and he also takes care for discoloration of your teeth. Here we have explained what causes yellowness of teeth, what is the treatment, is it treatable or not.
What causes teeth staining:
Tooth discoloration, sometimes is due to just surface staining like coffee or turmeric but sometimes it is inside the tooth like fluorosis. Treatment is also based on type of staining. Your dentist will do some test and he or she will be able to recognize that, is it internal staining or external staining.
External teeth staining:
Extrinsic tooth stains are typically caused by smoking (tobacco use) or by regularly drinking coffee and tea, wine or cola drinks. Sometimes it is also due to some component in food like turmeric or due to some berries, fruits such as blueberries, vegetables such as beetroot, soya sauce, and curry. But this type of staining can be corrected just by scaling and bleaching.
Internal teeth staining: This type of discoloration basically occurs inside the tooth below enamel layer and it is bit difficult to remove by bleaching and cleaning. Excessive fluoride use have been associated with intrinsic, especially in children .Children who take the antibiotic tetracycline (or whose mothers took it while pregnant) often have such stains. Silver (amalgam) fillings as they corrode can often stain surrounding tooth structure. It can be treated by veneers and crowns.
Neglecting oral hygiene: Poor dental hygiene, such as inadequate brushing or flossing, can lead to tooth discoloration.
Old age yellowing of teeth: With growing age Enamel( white outer layer of teeth) wears thin, allowing the underlying (yellow) dentine to show through. This is why teeth appear more yellow as we age.
Medications: some medications including high blood pressure medications, chemotherapy, antihistamines and some anti psychotic medications can cause teeth stains.
Trauma : sometime accidental injuries causes discoloration of teeth. This happens because of loss of blood supply from tooth. It can be corrected by bleaching or RCT and further crowning.
How to Remove Teeth Stains
Before treating this problem, the most important step is to diagnosis of discoloration and your dentist is the best person who can guide you. Visit your dentist, he will tell you, that your stains are external or internal. For external stains , he will guide you proper brushing methods and scaling , polishing. For internal stains, he has to rule out the cause. Either veneers or sometimes bleaching also works.
Here are few home remedies which can help you to prevent staining:
- Brush your teeth twice a day. Learn the proper method of brushing. Use soft bristle brush. Don’t be harsh while brushing otherwise enamel layer of your teeth will be worn away also you might hurt your gums.
- Stop smoking. Easier said than done, but we are all well aware of the “smokers teeth look” so it makes perfect sense that if you stop smoking, you will reduce the build-up of staining on the teeth and tongue.
- Be careful with your diet.After having staining beverages (tea, coffee, wine, cola etc.) clean your teeth. Also decrease their frequency. Try to avoid them if not posiible then restric their usage only once a day.
- Use a straw. Sipping fizzy drinks, smoothies and fruit juices through a straw will reduce your teeth’s exposure to these staining beverages.
- Regular Scaling. Visit your dentist once in 6 months. A scaling and polishing takes about 20 minutes and does a superb job of helping maintain a happy, healthy mouth.