NUTRITION FOR YOUR CHILDREN CURE YOUR CHILD WITH FOOD
what’s the best formula to fuel your child’s growth and development? Check out these nutrition basics, based on the latest Dietary Guidelines..
Every mother is delighted when her child eats well and worried, if it is in other way. Malnutrition and mental development is a hot topic as there is high level of awareness about the effect of malnutrition on mental and physical development of growing child.
Do you send your children to school every day with the same cheese, jam sandwich, rice or noodlers?? Remember packed lunches should be adequately nutritious. Packing lunch for your kid can become either the most painful or most fun part of a mother’s cooking.
Use your imagination and let your children help choose some items that will be included in lunch.
GIVE YOUR CHILDREN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AS SNACKS BETWEEN MEALS ALSO MAKE IT AS A PART OF THE MAIN MEAL..
School children will have a reasonably good appetite but what they eat mainly is nutritionally unbalanced. To overcome this, meal should not only be nutritious but also it should be tasty.
Girls require more protein at 10- 12 years than their male counter parts,since they attain puberty early. During this period, children require more calcium than adults to meet the demand for skeletal growth
Breakfast is particularly important for school children. They have a tendancy to skip breakfast, which is bad. This will make them weak ,tired,and lethargic, which will result in lack of concentration.
Any cereal like oats, dahlia,milk, muesli, steamed banana and fruits will make a good and quick breakfast. If you have time in the morning then you can prepare whole wheat toast, sandwich with a healthy filling like cheese, peanut butter, chicken, eggs or veggetables, also paneer rotis with curd, idli sambhar for a healrhy breakfast.
SWEETS AND CANDIES: Let your children have occasional sweets. It is not going to cause much harm, if taken in moderation. Main disadvantage of excessive consumption of sweets and candies is that they spoil appetite and cause tooth decay.
ENCOURAGE THE CHILDREN TO BRUSH THEIR TEETH AT LEAST TWICE A DAY
Ways TO PROMOTE HEALTHY EATING HABITS IN CHILDREN:
- Set a good example for your children by eating a healthy and balanced diet.
- Eat meals with family as often possible
- Encourage your children to eat slowly and chew the food properly
- Discourage eating while watching TV.
- Do not use food to punish your children.
- Regularity in meal time is essential
- Do not add unnecessary sugar to drinks and food
- Salad can be made interesting for them by adding crushed peanuts or incorporating them in sandwiches.
- Do not give skimmed milk to children less than 5 years.
- Do not give whole nuts to children below 4 years since they may choke.
Learning and applying this information can make you a good parent.